Thursday, March 22, 2007

How did we give people this impression?

Today I was a guest at a BNI meeting - Business Networking International. My membership expired in my own chapter and I decided not to rejoin for a third year. Suddenly now I am being invited to other chapters as a guest. I must have been getting too comfortable with my own chapter because I either never noticed this or somehow the misperception about introverts continues!

A Mary Kay director asked me, "what kind of work do you do?" I told her I help introverts, shy and reluctant who sell so they can boost their confidence, their prospects and their business. While HER first reaction was, "Wow. How do you do that?" a man standing by put his arm around a friend of his, with his eyes cast down and a monotone voice he quipped, "Oh then please help me." Then he giggled like a school boy.

It may have been a misinterpretation but to me clearly, he was portraying a withdrawn and likely boring person.

Do you get the connection of what I saw?

How do you react to something like that? I'm asking before I tell you how I responded.

No comments: