Monday, April 28, 2008

Introverts and Extroverts Be Who You are!

Let's not make ourselves powerless by trying to be someone who we are not! Introverts and extroverts be who you are.

A recent online article, Face-to-Face Networking for the Introvert: Tips for Success, had me up to “you can still act extroverted.”

This implies that there is something wrong with networking as an introvert. I must take the opposite thought - being an introvert in sales and sales management for 30 years.

Face to face introverts can bring so much more to networking: we are naturally better listeners; we are naturally more interested in learning about others than talking about ourselves; we tend to prepare in advance for even things like - networking.

These are traits that many people crave: to be listened to, to be able to talk about ourselves, to be prepared.

Introverts stay the course; just adjust your sails.

Patricia Weber
The Sales Accelerator Coach for Introverts, Shy and the MOST Reluctant
What is the area of sales of your greatest sales reluctance?
Take this sales survey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia, wow, we are blogging at the similar topic, helping introverts and shy. Thanks for your comments at my place!
Great to know you.
Let me know if you need help.
Keep in touch!
Cheers,
Robert

Patricia Weber said...

Oh yes; I'll be checking in from time to time!

Thank you Robert.

Patricia

Anonymous said...

Patricia,
Thanks for the link. As we discussed, I'm sorry that you interpreted my post to suggest that there is something wrong with networking as an introvert. In fact, I strongly believe that introverted and shy people have very strong skills for networking, as I mentioned in the blog linked to the one with which you took issue.

In summary, shy or introverted people ask for personal referrals, tend to be polite, are good listeners, bring a friend to networking events and leverage their on-line contacts - all great indicators of a successful networker!

In suggesting that people “act extroverted,” I wanted to recognize that face-to-face introverts don’t typically love “working a room,” and may need to get charged up to have the most success.

I posted a revised version of my original blog, including your comments and a link to your site at shine.yahoo.com:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/money/face-to-face-networking-tips-for-introverts-165775/

Looking forward to keeping in touch!
Miriam Salpeter
Keppie Careers
www.keppiecareers.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Patricia, you are doing us all a great service by removing barriers to performance prejudices regarding Introverts - a subject dear to my heart because I am one!

An example of a prejudice: I have seen too many people who equate "DISC" to Introversion and Extroversion - such as, if your highest behavioral style is a "D" or an "I" you are an EXTROVERT - not true! There are just as many introverted "D's & I's" as there are extroverted ones. DISC and Extroversion/Introversion actually measure different things. Do you agree?

Lisa Logan said...

It's hard to plug yourself--which is largely what running a business entails--when you're shy and would rather stick your nose in a book! Thanks for posting this.