Thursday, May 08, 2008

Introvert Salespeople and Sales Acceleration: Think Ferrari

The profession of salesperson, I truly believe, is an overlooked area of enjoyable work that introverts have an unfair advantage. There is still confusion around introversion and that keeps my mission strong.

I have tossed this post over and over in my mind for at least a week. It bothered me. Some may think I am boasting. Then, I thought of one of my best friends comments to me about this limiting belief: stories of personal success support my mission. And here we are.

In this little corner of the world where we are connecting, I want you so much to know that introverts can be successful salespeople. Customers crave some of the traits we bring to the selling and buying relationship. We can be successful in business playing by our rules.

Last week I connected with a terrific new friend, more on that in another post here. We connected with our car interest. He's a BMW man; Marty and I both love our 1933 Packard and F430. Now really, who would not love this gorgeous car? Oh there might be someone I suppose. It makes sense there might be people who don't give a hoot about cars.

Yes; that's me there behind the wheel.

My email exchange was humurous. "Introverts and Ferrari's are an oxymoron," my new friend quipped. He actually made one of my points before I did. For me it's not about the looks the car attracts for an introvert. Goodness it is a magnet for that. It's not this at all for me. I don't really care a hill of beans for the looks we get with it. I'll be driving it for other reasons.

My husband, all out extrovert, loves the looks he gets in my F430. But he really loves more than that! He and are are together on some of this: I love putting the pedal to the floor, feeling the car take a turn, wishing I could crank it up to 100 mph like it can do so easily, dream about our plans for next year and trailering it to a race track now being built in Virginia to just let it ride, and the quietness inside; it is so much power and somehow, quiet. Amazing.

Introvert right? Somehow quiet but powerful. Quiet means quiet.

And guess what? In my want to support my suspicions about why a car like a Ferrari for us, there is anecdotal evidence. You'll love finding out how a Ferrari can accelerate your sales.

And, we, introverts are quite the revered in the Ferrari racing circle. Jean Dodt, who my husband knew the name immediately on my finding, Jean went from Ferrari team boss to president of Ferrari and admires a group of Scandanavian Ferrari drivers who are, yes, introvert for the most part.

My friends. We can accelerate our sales. So, rev your engines, the real inside you.

Patricia Weber
The Sales Accelerator Coach for Introverts, Shy and the MOST Reluctant
What is the area of sales of your greatest sales reluctance?
Take this sales survey.

No comments: